[afnog] help on pxe boot

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Sep 30 16:24:59 UTC 2010

On Thursday, September 30, 2010 04:49:51 pm teklay
gebremichael wrote:

> hello,

Hi Teklay.

<deleting c-nsp from the list>

> since we are planning to have computer lab with old pcs
> that will boot from the server, this problem is very
> critical. is there some thing enabled by default on the
> switch that prevents booting from the network?

Your symptoms sound like the illustrious work of the STP
state machine in Cisco Catalyst switches.

I would suggest enabling the Portfast on all or some of the
Edge (Access, in Cisco speak) ports with the command:

conf t
 spanning-tree portfast default
 !
 int <interface - trunk ports>
   spanning-tree portfast disable

OR

conf t
 int <interface - edge ports>
  spanning-tree portfast

The former command is useful if you know most of your ports
are Edge ports, and just one or a few trunk ports.

The latter command is useful if you wan to explicitly define
which ports are Edge ports.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mark.