[afnog] Symantec Backup Exec!!!!

Noah Sematimba ksemat at psg.com
Wed May 19 12:13:13 UTC 2010

On May 18, 2010, at 6:51 PM, makafui yao manyo wrote:

> Thanks Danny,
>
> i'll look into it. But the client is so bent on symantec i'll have
> some convincing to do.

The cost of symantec's solutions varies with your setup and what you
want. The quotation will change according to what you tell them you
require. When you ask for things like bare metal restores the cost
goes up astronomically. if you add in various databases like SQl and
Oracle, it becomes even more expensive.

You can reduce the costs by for example having the databases make
dumps to disk and then you backup those dumps via normal file system
backups rather than paying for specific database agents, unless you
have very highly mission critical servers which need a very small RTO
you can also eliminate bare metal recovery or limit it only to the
most critical systems.

Contact me offlist and I will give you a contact in Symantec for help.
We use it at my work place and I must say i have found it very useful.
if course if i was paying the bill, I would probably be saying
something different :-)

Noah.