[afnog] Connectivity to www.afrinic.net-BGP qtn

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Thu Jul 8 07:01:43 UTC 2010

>> BGP never converges.
>
> my head has been going round in circles and forgive my ignorance but
> am not sure I understand your statements above.
>
> i thought BGP by design presumes certain levels of high-availability
> (i.e. multiple redundant paths to facilitate AS_NO connectivity). Why
> cant the Border Routers on TEAMs and SEACOM gateways be configured to
> interconnect and automatically act as backup to each other - without
> compromising BGP convergence?
>
> Thats why i thought it a commercial rather technical challenge.

bgp can converge locally, and sometimes does.  but global bgp never
converges.

but my impression was that teams and seacom were layer one, and hence
bgp does not have much to do with it.  yes, if they meet at appropriate
points, they probably could provide some ring redundancy.  but, as i am
not really familiar with either at any level of detail, i should shut
up.

randy