[afnog] Central Logging on Debian

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Wed Jul 7 18:05:41 UTC 2010

--- cbnayai at yahoo.co.uk wrote:
I am creating a central logging server where all my logs from switches, routers
and workstations would go on a debian os. Would any one have an idea which
application(s) i can use to achieve this?

Free and relatively easy: syslog.  Make sure your routers send syslog messages with a "facility" different from others.  This facility (for example "local0") will make sure the messages go into different files.  For example:

local0 for routers
local1 for switches
local2 for workstations

here's how I configure the conf file for my routers:

#less /etc/syslog.conf

local7.debug       /var/log/router.log
local6.debug       /var/log/switch.log

You then can make sure they same messages don't go into the /var/log/messages file.  There is no real need for duplicates.  On the line that has "/var/log/messages" in "/etc/syslog.conf" put: local7.none;local6.none.

as usual: "man syslog" and "man syslogd"

scott