[afnog] Connectivity to www.afrinic.net

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Jul 7 04:32:17 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 07 July 2010 07:25:37 am Randy Bush wrote:

> s/if/when/
>
> The Internet is, among other things, about building a
>  reliable network out of unreliable components.
>
> All devices break. some days, multiple devices will fail
>  at the same time.
>
> If you require any device to have 'high availability' you
>  have a bad design.
>
> BGP never converges.

Indeed.

Investing any substantial degree of hope in the availability
of a single cable system is risky, at best. Although there's
only two sub-sea systems on the east coast of Africa, as I
mentioned on another list, it's better than one.

Experience has also shown that multi-system failure is
possible, even in regions abundant in cable systems.

Diversity cannot be over-emphasized.

Cheers,

Mark.