[afnog] Assistance

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 09:56:25 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Clarence Diggs <clazo21 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually the error message I'm getting does not say anything about the
> Password change but this started happening after I changed the
> password. Now here is the issue, I tried joining a machine to the
> domain and get a message that the DC with the name specified cannot be
> contacted or reached. When I check the detail in the error message, it
> tells me about the DNS address specified on the pc cannot resolve to
> the DC. This may sound weird but that's the whole scenario. I'm
> thinking of checking the DNS settings on the DC again and see what's
> the situation or demoting and promoting the DC again.......don't know
> if that's a better idea.

Join this computer to a workgroup of your choice, any name will do, reboot,
ensure that your DNS settings can resolve the domain controllers name. A
ping of the domain name you are using should do. If it resolves, attempt to
join it to the domain again.

Also check your DC, and ensure that this computers name does not exist in it
already. If it exists in the DC, delete it and do the suggestion above. The
other alternative is to join the computer to the domain from the DC itself.

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in
a million chances happen 99% of the time.