[afnog] layer 3 switch to act layer 2 switch

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Jan 19 07:15:27 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 19 January 2010 02:56:46 pm Keith Ndenga wrote:

> I believe the whole point of a layer 3 switch is that it
>  has routing capabilities i.e. acts as a router. If you
>  want to disable this then I guess you can just type the
>  command:
>
> no ip routing

Well, that would also stop you from accessing the switch
remotely, since Management tends to be done over IP :-).

Later IOS-based Cisco Catalyst switches, which support IP
routing and forwarding, can be told to operate a port in
either Layer 2 or Layer 3 mode (the 'switchport' command).

Earlier boxes like the 4908 (the device in question re: this
thread) seem to live by their own rules. Refer to the link I
posted earlier.

Cheers,

Mark.