[afnog] Routing - Adding Bandwidth

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Jan 7 18:37:04 UTC 2010

On Friday 08 January 2010 02:07:33 am Benjamin Cobblah
wrote:

> The challenge is that i would like to bundle all the 12MB
>  in one pipe so that at a given session i have 12 MB to
>  distribute at will and also maintain my failover
>  solution.

You don't mention how the links are being delivered...
Ethernet, PPP, e.t.c., nor what platforms you're using.

What you need is load balancing, but there are 2 layers and
3 issues to consider:

	* At Layer 2; if Ethernet, doubtful 802.1AX (Ethernet) or
	  ML-PPP would be useful since these are separate ISP's.

	* At Layer 3; if each of the ISP's are assigning you
	  addresses from their own allocations, directly putting
	  traffic on each link simultaneously won't be straight
	  forward. You could do it by placing different internal
	  devices on the different IP addresses, but I'm guessing
	  the bulk of your (inbound) traffic will be user-based web
	  browsing or the like.

	* The third issue is if you're using NAT. Multi-homing with
	  NAT is fairly doable. Multi-homing + load balancing with
	  NAT, a little more interesting :-). Cisco have a feature
	  called OER (Optimized Edge Routing), you could take a
	  look at it and see if it's close to what you need
	  (assuming you have NAT):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_configuration_example09186a00808d2b72.shtml

The easiest solution would be for your to run BGP with your
ISP's. This works best when you have your own address space
and ASN allocations from AfriNIC (in case you don't
already). But this depends on a number of things, one of
which is whether your ISP's support BGP for customers, and
if so, whether they'll run it with you, among other issues.

More information about your setup, ISP environment, AfriNIC
allocation status (if any), e.t.c., would be helpful.

Cheers,

Mark.