[afnog] Campus Network Redesign

Olawale Owoeye (oowoeye) oowoeye at cisco.com
Tue Feb 9 20:39:32 UTC 2010

Guys,

Before you go ahead to redesign your networks or start new ones, fundamental questions should be asked. Such includes

1.    What’s the primary purpose of the network. To connect to campus to the internet or to connect campus to campus

2.    What applications are you interested in?

3.    What’s the roadmap in terms of technologies for the network? Are you starting with the LAN, wireless, datacenter implementations etc.

After all of these is done, make sure your design obey the fundamental laws of

1.    Modularity

2.    Security

3.    Reliability

4.    Flexibility and Agility

Use the link below as a start to solving problems.

http://www.cisco.com/web/strategy/education/index.html

Regards.