[afnog] UCEPROTECT blacklist

SM sm at resistor.net
Sun Aug 8 15:44:31 UTC 2010

Hi Mike,
At 00:46 08-08-10, Mike Barnard wrote:
>The solution was to get in touch with the admin of the recipient
>mail server and advise them to change their use of UCEPROTECT to
>something that was more flexible and user friendly. They changed and
>up to now, had forgotten the nightmare UCEPROTECT is.

Yes.  Quoting http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5782.txt

   "Any system manager that uses DNSxLs is entrusting part of his or her
    server management to the parties that run the lists, and SHOULD
    ensure that the management policies for the lists are consistent with
    the policies the system manager intends to use.  Poorly chosen DNSBLs
    might block addresses that send mail that the system manager and the
    system's users wish to receive."

>This may sound naive, but may be if we got the major transit
>providers to route their range of IP and their mirror sites IP range
>to null we may give them a test of their own medicine :-s... it
>worked with some Italian ISP who were using a public IP range as a
>private allocation for their ADSL clients.

DNSBLs will be around as long as people use them (
http://www.afnog.org/archives/2010-May/006008.html ).  There has been
several postings to this mailing list about this topic over the
years.  This community hasn't shown much interest in getting together
and find out how to address the problem.

Regards,
-sm