[afnog] UCEPROTECT blacklist

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 07:46:41 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 11:18 AM, <muhump at mtn.co.ug> wrote:

>  Hi good people,
>

> Has anyone experienced blacklist issues with UCEPROTECT, which blacklist
> site asks for money to un-blacklist. It seems exhortation to me. How do we
> solve this? What governing body can help with this.

I believe I suffered from UCEPROTECTs stupidity on this. If I recall right,
I tried to get AfriNIC involved. That was some 5-6 years back. Their
Australia site had me by its fangs.

If they have not reformed their policies by now, chances are they are never
going to bow down to you. I had someone make a comment about me being in a
small African country and they would not go to any lengths to rectify the
problem.

The solution was to get in touch with the admin of the recipient mail server
and advise them to change their use of UCEPROTECT to something that was more
flexible and user friendly. They changed and up to now, had forgotten the
nightmare UCEPROTECT is.

This may sound naive, but may be if we got the major transit providers to
route their range of IP and their mirror sites IP range to null we may give
them a test of their own medicine :-s... it worked with some Italian ISP who
were using a public IP range as a private allocation for their ADSL clients.

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in
a million chances happen 99% of the time.