[afnog] Beware of scam: summer school on Internet governance Africa

Oluwaseun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 08:06:25 UTC 2010

Its Unfortunate that Nigeria was used as the scam base(program venue -
http://www.africanssig.org/Application.htm).....hmmm....just in case..could
you verify this again - the site looks loaded and full of info...:D, you may
want to contact the sponsors listed on the site too. And even "The Nigerian
Institute of International Affairs,Lagos, Nigeria"(The supposed Venue)
Thanks for the info!

Regards

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Dawit Bekele <bekele at isoc.org> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>

> I would like to warn you about a very probable scam at
> http://www.africanssig.org/first.htm.
>

> The site copies the summer school on Internet governance in Latin America
> and Europe that are real. It falsely claims that it is endorsed by
> organizations like Internet Society and Google (amongst many others), which
> it isn’t. We have contacted many of the people sited on the front page and
> in the program and none of them are aware of this program.
>

> The Internet Society  will follow up this matter, but in the mean time I
> would like to make sure that no one in the community falls into this trap.
>

> Please let me know if you have any information concerning this,

> Dawit Bekele, Regional Bureau Manager - Africa
>     <bekele at isoc.org>
> Tel: +251 911 22 13 33/+41 22 809
> 0363                                           http://www.isoc.org
> Internet Society
> (ISOC)                                                          "The
> Internet is for everyone"

Seun Ojedeji,
System Analyst/Network Admin
ICT Centre,