[afnog] Watchdog warns of increased cybercrime threat [in Africa]

SM sm at resistor.net
Wed Sep 9 06:10:01 UTC 2009

At 09:23 08-09-2009, Bernard Wanyama wrote:
>I think the detection mechanisms and stats only manage to catch a
>small bit of the picture.

It is difficult to tell what the stats mean.

>How many SMTP blacklist incidents do you come across in a week? In

If you manage your IP address space correctly, you should not see
that many "SMTP blacklist" incidents.

>Kampala, almost every other corporate network has to use their ISP to
>relay mail because their public IP is blacklisted.

Could you comment off-list on why they are blacklisted?

>Just imagine, now the bot herders will have a follow-the-sun 24/7 botnet farm!

They already have the follow-the-sun farm.  The only difference here
is that it is easier to block Africa.

>So, we shall be propelled into the underground Internet Economy much
>faster than we imagined!

Africa is already in there.

Regards,
-sm