[afnog] Watchdog warns of increased cybercrime threat [in Africa]

Bernard Wanyama bwanyama at syntechug.com
Tue Sep 8 16:23:16 UTC 2009

John,

I think the detection mechanisms and stats only manage to catch a
small bit of the picture.

How many SMTP blacklist incidents do you come across in a week? In
Kampala, almost every other corporate network has to use their ISP to
relay mail because their public IP is blacklisted.
It would be very interesting to see the percentage of Africa IP
address space that is blacklisted on Spamhaus and the rest.

As the report says, with the advent of fiber, the already existing
African bots will come as fast and reliable as their Asian or European
cousins.
Just imagine, now the bot herders will have a follow-the-sun 24/7 botnet farm!
So, we shall be propelled into the underground Internet Economy much
faster than we imagined!

Kind regards,
Bernard