[afnog] Challenges in the African Continent

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Mar 31 07:59:41 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 31 March 2009 04:11:18 am SM wrote:

> Leasing satellite capacity requires less investment.

Yes, but this limits how much bandwidth operators can buy,
as (increasing) opex is what really kills networks.

I posit that a number of African ISP's that have 5Mbps,
10Mbps or 15Mbps for transit capacity, probably need at
least 10x that. But they can't afford it because satellite
pricing simply doesn't scale - it's good for smaller
capacities, though. But then there's that "whole growth
thing" all over again :-).

> It
> is also as an alternative way for some operators to enter
> the market.

Until the cables became/become a reality, it is/was the only
way.

I'm sure operators will still hold on to some satellite
capacity after the cables hit the coast, but expect those
prices to come down (not nearly as close to submarine
prices, though). In the end, especially as more submarine
systems become available, I expect very little capacity on
satellite anymore. But this will take a while, especially as
national infrastructure continues to grow steadily.

> Submarine systems requires a huge investment.  Most
> operators cannot afford that on their own.

Which is why operators form consortia. This is true anywhere
in the world (save for a few large operators who can go it
alone).

> That's where
> governments can step in either to cover the capital
> expenditure or to create an environment to attract
> investors.

Or the consortia can sell submarine capacity on a non-
recurring basis. This, of course, depends, but buying
capacity this way is advantageous to the owner - recurring
charges are a killer.

> The technology provides cheaper and more
> bandwidth.  From a national point of view, it is better
> to invest in that kind of technology.

Agree.

> There is also the
> question of land-locked states.  Having a loop around the
> continent won't solve their problem unless the countries
> with landing stations adopt a cooperative stance.

Exactly - cable consortia would have to include landlocked
countries, and their membership would call for inter-country
co-operation with regard to access to the cable landing
station.

It can't work any other way, and I believe this is the case.

> The language is one of the determinants in the content
> push.  Take China for example.  It's a market in itself
> because of that (and some other factors).  We had an
> Internet where English was the primary language.  We now
> have several commodities based around the Internet.
> These commodities favor traffic concentration.  Local
> content is no match against that except if it's in other
> native languages.  There are still some services that can
> emerge from the region.

Right, but you need to remember that there are several
countries in Africa that have several different tribes, each
with their own language with little or no similarity to
neighboring tribes.

In such cases, English has been embraced as an official
trading language.

However, yes, content does need to cater for folk that
couldn't care less about English or any other languages, but
still need to be online. This may vary from country to
country.

> Cable systems won't make a difference without the
> national infrastructure to support them.

Indeed.

For the East African region, I believe both Kenya and Uganda
have been rolling out fibre connectivity to the border for
their interconnect, as well as extending internal/national
reach, primarily to areas that already have a higher
concentration of Internet users.

Other companies have built out metro fibre around the major
cities, and continue to do so. Perhaps someone from .tz can
comment on the status there. I know Rwanda have a very
aggressive ICT agenda; uncertain about Burundi.

The point is, work is on going, and it is understood that
without a national backbone, fully harnessing the cable
systems will be next to impossible.

> It is not
> economical to provide fast nation-wide access all at
> once.

Unless several different players are doing it, and covering
separate areas. This is a function of regulation and
business models, although there can't be too much fibre in
the ground.

> Yes.  It's up the each country to decide whether it wants
> to keep these artificial barriers.  As long as such
> policies are in place, there won't be the competitive
> environment that can bring down the cost of bandwidth.

That's why it's not just a technology problem -
comprehensive solutions need to be considered. There's
interest at every level in the chain, good or bad.

> With a list like that, we could pack up before we even
> get started.  If the Jon and Jane on this list wait for
> all these problems to be addressed before getting
> creative, they will be subject to a wider technological
> disadvantage.

I'm not saying folk haven't started using their brains to do
what they can with the little they have. I'm only saying
that they can only go so far, and a little help is needed
beyond that.

> Is the national regulator listening to the operator?  I
> know that some are.  If there isn't dialogue with the
> regulator, get the users to talk to them. :-)

This issue is specific to each economy. Not sure about the
state of .mu, where the OP posted from.

> The egg is "show me the money".

Operators, individually, cannot build cable systems. A
collaboration of operators and, perhaps, some government
involvement, can be build cable systems.

And by the time they choose to, they will realise that
there's pent-up demand, regardless of whether they are
seeing the "moolah" now or not.

> Let's look at this differently.  Can the existing
> infrastructure be used for dial-up access?

Specific to countries, again - but I do believe that a
number of economies will still be able to support dial-up,
in the major cities, at least.

> If the answer
> is yes, then you have an option to connect to the ISP.
> As usage grows, the ISP has an incentive to look into how
> to provide faster access.  If they don't do that, some
> other ISP will do it.

This stage has already been reached, but because the cost of
installing and maintaining, say, ADSL equipment, is high in
relation to the number of potential customers (due to reach
of copper in the ground, long-haul fibre, e.t.c.), spread
has not been wide.

Other solutions such as Kyocera's iBurst, and WiMax, are
proving to be viable alternatives.

> You mentioned the TEAMS, SEACOM
> and EASSy cable systems.  If the ISP wants to be part of
> that, they have to see about how to sell the bandwidth.
> Either the ISP takes steps for the infrastructure to be
> in place before the cable systems are operational...

In some markets, regulation has permitted operators to build
their own infrastructure. It may not be as wide as what the
incumbent has to offer, but it's a start.

In markets where competition is not allowed, there is little
choice ISP's have.

> There will be a smart operator sees that as an
> opportunity and create what I would call an African
> solution.  That operator will likely be somebody close to
> the community they want to reach.  They could re-purpose
> existing technologies to create cheap and effective
> solutions.

These creative approaches have already been implemented,
e.g., solar-powered wireless phone booths, solar-powered
container-based Internet booths, remote portable satellite,
e.t.c.

The scale is still small, and some projects may not have
been sustainable, but it's a start.

> It's interesting to see how fast mobile networks are
> growing in Africa.  A mobile phone is more than a phone
> nowadays.  Internet access through mobile networks will
> be more than messaging.  Think of the localized content
> that can be provided.  People will also expect to reach
> their favorite sites.  That's another outlet to sell
> cable capacity to.

Indeed, but wireless carriers still also need to solve one
of the biggest problems facing GSM networks carrying 3G
services - backhaul - mostly so because most of the
technology today is still ATM carried over inflexible
STM-1/OC-3/E1/T1 technologies; very hard to scale
economically.

The need for a national backbone cannot be discounted.

Cheers,

Mark.