[afnog] Fwd: afnog Digest, Vol 54, Issue 25

Global One Solution malabow at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 15:05:48 UTC 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Global One Solution <malabow at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 11:04 AM
Subject: Re: [afnog] afnog Digest, Vol 54, Issue 25
To: Randy Bush <randy at psg.com>

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

> Global One Solution wrote:
> > IS-IS is becoming the protocol for ISP's
>
> >it *was* the only igp for isps.  this changed 15 years ago.  many use
> >ospf today and will continue to do so.  in many environments, especially
> >the smaller ones, it's a toss up.

15yr ago, most of the large ISP, atleast in the USA, had DS3 max as
backbone, :) amazing hah, and now we are testing 100Gig (atleast some claim
they are testing). but I agree with you on small ones running ospf,

> > there are a lot of improvement and added features
>
> thank $deity not!  this is one of its best points.
>
> >ospf has many added features, and new ones every year.  if you think a
> >747 is a fun plane to fly, you'll like it.

Not a big fan of OSPF :)  i expect alot of feature added, as OSPF is the
used more than ISIS, due to Enterprise.

> > Currently there is ONLY one Tier I ISP in the US that still uses OSPF
>
> >i do not believe this is true

This is True in the US :) i will buy lunch if that is not the case, remember
the key here is Tier I "ISP"

> > IS-IS rocks :)
>
> >this statement is true

I am just a fan of IS-IS, it has been good to me, and failed ONLY couple
times for the last 8yr "this is in Tier I ISP"

--
Liban Mohamed
Global One Solution
malabow at gmail.com