[afnog] afnog Digest, Vol 54, Issue 23

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Sep 24 11:46:49 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 24 September 2008 18:07:04 Peter Nyamukusa
wrote:

>     *  IS-IS does not use level 3 routers.

Well, L3 routing is inter-domain. OSI's approach was IDRP.

> * Unlike OSPF, IS-IS routers are not required
> to be connected to a contiguous backbone area. In fact,
> the backbone area can also be segmented in IS-IS.

A major advantage when expanding your network beyond
multiple regions.

>     * With IS-IS, there is no restriction that all
> backbone routers (level 2 routers) be contiguous
>       such as the backbone area of OSPF.

Actually, there is...

If you deploy a hierarchical IS-IS network (L1 routers
within the PoP's, L2 [or rather, L1/L2] routers in the
core), your L2 backbone MUST be contiguous.

The merit is that L1 routers don't need to be contiguous
between PoP's. Route leaking ensures optimal routing
(longest match) between PoP's.

>     * In OSPF all areas must be directly linked to area
> 0, and the backbone area must also not be segmented.

A problem for networks that build "wide".

>     * With IS-IS, the backbone area can be more easily
> extended since all L2 routers need not be linked directly
> together.

Actually, it's the other way around; L1 routers do not need
to be linked directly.

However, L2 or L1/L2 routers should be contiguously
deployed. L2 or L1/L2 "snake" their course in between L1
routers across the various regions an ISP may deploy its
network.

>     * With regard to CPU use and the processing of
> routing updates, IS-IS is more efficient
>       than OSPF.

IS-IS is fundamentally less chatty than OSPF on the wire.
Both IGP's have several knobs and switches that can be
manipulated to make the deployment even more scalable,
e.g., the LSP lifetime can be configured up to 18.2hrs in
IS-IS, which makes it quite suitable for large deployments,
e.t.c.

It's also good to note that IS-IS was easily extendable for
the inclusion of new features, e.g., IPv6 routing, as it
utilizes TLV's, rather than OSPFv2 which uses the "Options"
field (already depleted) - hence the transition to a new
OSPF protocol, OSPFv3.

Suffice it to say that 'draft-ietf-ospf-af-alt-07.txt'
(expired the last time I checked) attempts to extend OSPFv3
by adding multiple address families, one of which is IPv4
(Unicast and Multicast). Of course, it runs over IPv6, so
an IPv6 network would be a requirement for running IPv4
over OSPFv3. Vendor support has already emerged from
Juniper... but I digress.

And then of course, IS-IS runs directly over the data link
layer.

> Try to design your network so it can run in a single
> area/level which makes things like TE/FRR...

I believe a hierarchical network design provides better
scalability.

Besides, I'd design my IS-IS backbone with IP in mind. Other
features like MPLS-TE and FRR are secondary (as they depend
on a stable IP foundation).

However, it is true that inter-area CSPF for MPLS-TE does
not exist today (major vendors have planned to support it,
though). LSR's have to be 'loosely' defined in the path
list for RSVP to successfully signal an inter-area LSP.

We, generally, treat MPLS-TE as a tactical response to a
potential congestion problem, rather than a lasting
solution, especially since very few points would be
affected in the grand scheme of things... so manual
inter-area MPLS-TE isn't an issue.

Cheers,

Mark.