[afnog] - mrtg bandwidth measurement

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Oct 17 12:28:48 UTC 2008

On Friday 17 October 2008 20:13:36 Habib Mohammedaman wrote:

> i am using linux box (centos 5.2) as linux firewall and
> squid box with and it has 2 interface on for local (eth1)
> and other for global (eth0) . and i wana know the exact
> kilo byte per second that i get from the ISP using MRTG .
> i do it using -ifref=ip option which tell me the trafic
> on the interface not the bandwidth that i get from the
> ISP.

MRTG won't tell you how much bandwidth your ISP has
provisioned. It will only tell you how much bandwidth has
transited the interface you are monitoring using it.

This may or may not necessarily be a function of the amount
of bandwidth your ISP has provisioned to you (depending on
how diverse their service offerings are, e.g.,
differentiation between local and international traffic,
e.t.c.)

To find out how much bandwidth you've been provisioned:

a) Ask your ISP - if you don't trust their answer, see
   further...

b) Run an FTP test and download/upload a file from/to a site
   on the Internet. The results here may vary depending on
   how well your ISP is connected, as well as how well the
   site from/to which you are downloading/uploading the file
   is connected as well.

c) Verify the loop between your network and your ISP is able
   to support the advertised bandwidth. One way would be to
   co-operate with your ISP and have them host a file on
   their FTP server for you to download, and also let you
   upload a file to the same FTP server.

d) For good measure, you may also run Iperf for the tests
   mentioned in b) and c), above.

Cheers,

Mark.