[afnog] Inter-country connectivity (was: afnog Digest, Vol 49, Issue 24)

SM sm at resistor.net
Mon May 19 21:50:08 UTC 2008

At 01:31 19-05-2008, Mark Tinka wrote:
>On Monday 28 April 2008, Global One Solution wrote:
>
> > I am hoping African ISP are
> > building relationship with each other,...
>
>This would be ideal, but isn't happening as fast as we'd all
>like.
>
>Inter-country connectivity isn't rife - most of Africa's
>traffic converges somewhere in Europe or the U.S.

It's unfortunate that someone has to go all the way to Europe or the
US to connect to a host in another country within Africa.  Is there
even content that might warrant such connectivity?

African ISPs would only build relationships with each other if there
was a significant exchange of traffic between them.  Even there,
there are other factors to consider as some African ISPs are not
really African. :-)

Regards,
-sm