[afnog] [DNS] Configuration du reverse DNS

Geert Jan de Groot GeertJan.deGroot at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 11 21:17:03 UTC 2008

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:17:11 +0000  "Dominique Claver KOUAME" wrote:
> pouvez-vous m'aider =E0 configurer le reverse DNS pour mes clients. En effe=
> t,
> nous avons obtenu un /19 de l'AFRINIC et nous faisons des attributions de
> /30, /29, /25 et /24 =E0 diff=E9rents types de clients. Malheureusement, no=
> clients h=E9berg=E9s chez nous rencontrent des probl=E8mes de reverse DNS.
> Merci de m'aider =E0 trouver la solution.

I apologise for not answering in English.

1. For /24 assignments (and shorter, like /23), get the client to
   set up a nameserver with the correct reverse zone in it
2. Find a secondary nameserver. As their ISP, you should consider running
   secondary for the zone, once you verified their work.
3. Once all this is operational, apply for reverse delegation at AfriNIC
   using their standard procedures.

For /25 and longer prefixes, have a look at RFC2317.
Create a zone for the /24 upwards, get a good nameserver set,
then delegate out of this zone (which you now control) using
the techniques described in 2317.

Hope this helps,

Geert Jan