[afnog] Channelising E1s

Bernard Wanyama bwanyama at syntechug.com
Tue Jul 8 10:17:59 UTC 2008

Peter,

If you are not constrained on serial capacity, go ahead and give the
client 512Kbps at Layer 1/2, then you can provision the 256 up / 256
down at Layer 3 on the bandwidth manager.

That way, you will not have a bottleneck on the line.

Fixing the bandwidth to 256Kbps on the line will subject the user to
HDLC/PPP overhead (approx 6-8 Kbps per timeslot).

Mark,

In UG, ISPs have the tendency of selling Internet bandwidth in a
fashion like - 256Kbps down / 256Kbps up means 512Kbps.

Kind regards,

Bernard