[afnog] Cisco 2600 series router

Hyeroba Peter phyeroba at cfi.co.ug
Thu Dec 11 07:15:46 UTC 2008

Hi guys,

I have a cisco 2600 series that behaves weird.

First of all, it would move from full duplex mode on its Eth0 interface to
half duplex and then back, yet there have been no new hardware added to the
network that would cause this switch. After the switch, I could not ping it
from my local network i.e. its attached to a 24 port 3com switch. But if I
got a laptop and connected it directly to the router's Eth0 port, it'd work
fine, but attaching the router to the switches and then trying to ping or
use it as a gateway, it doesn't work at all, i.e. I cannot ping the router
or use it as a gateway. I solved this initially by connecting the router to
an old 3com switch which was full time half-duplex, this worked for a while
till 2days ago. Now it cant sync with any other devices on the network
unless given its own switch.

Has any of you experienced such.

Hyeroba W. Peter
Computer Frontiers International limited;
Tel: +256 31 230 1800 or +254 41 456 4200; Fax: +256 41 434 0456;
Cell-phone: +256 78 247 9192;
Website: www.cfi.co.ug