[afnog] reverse dns implications

Maina M Noah ncmaina2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 11 09:51:39 UTC 2008

Hi,

For a matter of fact AfriNic does not actually need to force a policy on downstream providers to implement reverse delegation on DNS servers, the ISP's themselves will be forced by a number of factors from the customers and clients themselves i.e

Customer Mail servers would require the reverse DNS in case the ISP allocates the customer a public IP address for their local mail server.This not only helps combat spam but also makes it easier for the Mail host to be found by other domains, other wise mails would be rejected by those other domains the mail server sends email to.

Second customers need this DNS server services any how and if AfriNic is allocating a down stream provider say a /22 IPv4 block,
reverse delegation is also done via the my.afrinic.net customer page in correspondence with the providers DNS servers. This is important because
also while allocating clients IP addresses for use, you've to reverse delegate the IP subnet block. That is how we do it as an ISP and our clients
are very much happy.

Cheers
Maina Noah