[afnog] reverse dns implications

SM sm at resistor.net
Thu Apr 10 19:02:16 UTC 2008

At 05:48 10-04-2008, Makan SIMAGA wrote:
>A lot of customers who manage their own Internet domains and mail
>server have this problems and their servers are often blacklisted.
>Personally, I had in a past, a lot of problems with mail senders
>unresolved reverse resolution.

A lot of mail servers reject connections originating from hosts
without reverse DNS.

>Finally I accept all mails even if reverse resolution fail, and I'm
>spammed to death.
>If reverse mappings management is made compulsory by AFRINIC to ISP,
>it will be a very good thing and it resolve a lot of communication
>problems with ours mail servers by permitting use of enforced rules
>against spammers.

It would be good to have a practice where mail servers have proper
reverse DNS.  That's for Afnog to push forward.

AfriNIC already does reverse DNS delegation.  I don't see how they
could force a policy of reverse DNS on downstream providers.

>Problems arrived when some servers begun to be less cooperative by
>considering asking to them to verify if sender mail exist, is a
>threat! And they blacklist me or simply refuse to answer to my email
>verification process.

Sender address verification (SAV) will get you blocked.

Regards,
-sm