[afnog] Domain registration and web hosting

Eddy Kayihura M. eddy at terracom.rw
Wed Sep 26 06:40:04 UTC 2007

Dear Noa,

Here are some questions that could guide in answering you:

- What platforms are you using (OS :Linux, Microsoft)
- What DNS software is installed on them?
- Do that customer have at least 1 permanent IP address?

In our network we have some DNS servers with zone files.
For a customer who has taken care of his domain registration, we just
ask them to point their domains from their registrar to our DNS servers
and then in the zone files on our servers, we point whatever they ask
towards their IP.
Since they generally have a single IP, they sometimes do port forwarding
on their firewall to forward some port traffic towards machines with
internal (private) IP addresses eg: port 25 or 80

regards

Eddy