[afnog] afnog.org TXT record

Geert Jan de Groot GeertJan.deGroot at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 24 20:39:30 UTC 2007

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:29:32 -0400 (EDT)  Sean Donelan wrote:
> Perhaps a stupid question, but does the current afnog.org TXT record
> in DNS mean something?
> $ dig +short afnog.org txt
> "Success"
> Although its a bug in SPF software, which should ignore TXT records which
> don't begin with the SPF flag (e.g. "v=spf1"), it gets flagged as invalid.

It is indeed the traditional yell of AfNOG:
http://limestone.uoregon.edu/~geertj/ws.afnog.org/afnog2002/photos/hervey/afnog-success-front-of-sarakawa.avi

The TXT record predates SPF by several years, and it's just one of
those snippets playful people do when they get bored.
(caution: there are more, especially during setup of the annual event ;-)
Thank you for finding it...

While I agree it's definitely not part of "be conservative of what you send",
it makes a strong case for "be liberal in what you accept": TXT records
aren't exclusively for SPF use.

Assuming it doesn't completely kill the SPF code, can you please forward
the case to the SPF software developers?

Geert Jan