[afnog] Resolve non-FQDN with Bind

tawanda kavayi kavayit at africaonline.co.zw
Sun Oct 21 20:11:38 UTC 2007

Alan Barrett wrote:
>> For a specific reason, this needs to be done at the server level. The
>> client in this case is actually a device, not a workstation, that is
>> configured to use the hostname portion only.
>
> Assuming that the vendor manages to sell this device and get it working
> elsewhere, and assuming that most of the vendor's customers will not
> have the skill to configure bind in unusual ways, I would deduce that
> there is probably a way to configure the device to do something slightly
> less insane than making DNS queries for one-word host names without any
> domain suffix.
>
> Failing that, if you have a list of the one-word names that the device
> needs to look up, you could add a fake top level domain for each one.
> Please use bind's "view" facility to ensure that the fake names are not
> visible to the whole world.
>
> --apb (Alan Barrett)

The one word domain sounds like a good hack. I've tried it but am having
 difficulty with the syntax. E.g., I created a zone called "host", with
an entry in named.conf like:

zone "host" in {
        type master;
        file "master/host";
};

In the zone file, I have:

host.		IN	CNAME 	host.domain.com.

But I get SERVFAIL when I try a dig for host. Should I be using DNAME here?

Regards,

Tawanda