[afnog] Load Balancing Two ISP links

Raymond Macharia raymond at accesskenya.com
Mon Oct 15 09:41:09 UTC 2007

Hi Mike,
I currently use BGP to achieve what you are trying to do however if that
seems complicated there is a simple command I used some years back and
it worked well for me, below is a template.
The lines of interest are the ones that start with the word backup. What
the first line did is provide redundancy so when this link went down
traffic would be redirected to the other link.
The second line is for load sharing and this means that if the first
link gets to 80% it invokes the second link and if the link goes down to
60% it shuts down the second link.
You can play around with the percentages to get the right mix for you.
Note that you still have the two defaults to the two links below.

interface Serial0/0
 description Internet Link1
 bandwidth 1024
* backup interface Serial0/1