[afnog] xinetd bug?

jaco engelbrecht bje at serendipity.org.za
Sun May 27 19:45:29 UTC 2007

hi Mark,

On 27 May 2007, at 19:04, Mark Tinka wrote:

>> I ran into similar issues just now when I tried to install
>> it, to see if I can replicate your problem.
>>
>> After some fiddling, IPv4 tftp transfers seems to be
>> working fine now with the configuration below.
>>
>> Can you try this?
>
> I've tested the configuration you sent, as well as multiple
> variations of it and others per the manual pages with no
> success.

OK, I think I figured out what might be the "problem":

[root at tsogang ~]# netstat -ap udp | grep tftp
udp4       0      0  *.tftp                 *.*

(So I am only listening on IPv4 for tftp requests...)

Establish a tftp connection to "localhost", succeeds, but a "get" fails:

[bje at tsogang ~]$ tftp localhost
tftp> get TSOGANG
Transfer timed out.

tftp> quit

Establish a tftp connection to "127.0.0.1", succeeds, and a "get"
succeeds:

[bje at tsogang ~]$ tftp 127.0.0.1
tftp> get TSOGANG
Received 11565 bytes in 0.0 seconds
tftp> quit

Can you confirm whether this is happening in your case too?

> I should, perhaps, add that the box I'm working with is an
> UltraSparc-based machine running FreeBSD-6.2_RELENG/Sparc64
> (standard install, nothing kinky), if that should be of any
> consequence.
>
> I'll probably switch to a standalone TFTP server or
> use 'inetd' for the time being until I figure this one out.

I can recommend tftp-hpa, if you do not want to use /usr/libexec/
tftpd and inetd:

[root at tsogang /usr/ports/ftp/tftp-hpa]# more pkg-descr
tftp-hpa is portable, BSD derived tftp server.  It supports advanced
options such as blksize, blksize2, tsize, timeout, and utimeout.
It also supported rulebased security options.

Jaco

bje at serendipity.org.za
the faculty of making fortunate discoveries