[afnog] OSPF abruptly dying

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Tue Jun 12 15:28:17 UTC 2007

On 12 Jun 2007, at 11:53, Mike Barnard wrote:

> i have had a strange occurrence in the last few days that have left
> me wondering. i have a router, 7206VXR running IOS 12.2(25)S8. i
> started experiencing route flapping and realised that this was the
> culprit router. for some reason, OSPF would just go dead; sh ip
> ospf would return nothing and same case with sh ip route ospf.
> after a few minutes, OSPF would come up again and all would
> function for another 5-10 minutes before it goes through the same
> cycle.

There was a post on cisco-nsp in March 06 describing a similar issue,
but the poster had noticed that there was high cpu load on some of
the ospf participants during this bad behaviour.  Do you see this ?

There weren't follow-ups to the message (that I can find), but he was
running 12.2(25) also.  It may be worth trying a more modern image if
possible to see if this makes your problem go away.

Thanks,
Andy