[afnog] UCEPROTECT-How well is Africa Prepared to Handle Abuse ?

S. Oduor soduor at accesskenya.com
Wed Jul 25 10:27:11 UTC 2007

> Hi,
> practical and very specific question:
>
> what happened at accesskenya about my email
>
> Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 16:54:54 +0300
> From: Frank Habicht <frankh at layne.co.tz>
> To: hostmaster at accesskenya.com, jsomen at accesskenya.com,
> raymond at accesskenya.com
> Subject: spam attempts from 41.206.34.130
>
> (the To: addresses are from whois)
>
> that included specific logs....
> etc
>
> Thanks,
> Frank

As much as I would not really like to touch on specific cases off the main
subject , Abuse of any sort is a serious offence in accesskenya network be
it external or internal.

Your mail was forwarded to the security department & instructions were
issued to block specific packets to/from that host after narrowing down a
malware problem on customer network until that was re-addressed , it could
have been very unfortunate that a reply was not sent back to you (hope you
never blocked accesskenya entire network )& to this effect I have
contacted the right people and informed them of this and in the future you
will have a reply of what measure's have been undertaken.

In this list majority will agree that a larger network means more work in
terms of planning to ensure efficiency in every aspect of the network but
one or two cases happens and some go without notice as long as this does
not become a crisis that cant be managed, that must have been one case pls
let me know if you are still getting spams from that host ?

Off-Topic, In the brink of getting a fibre channel to most regions in
Africa where latency will be in terms of 100 ms to Southern Asia, Polland
& Russia expect more exploits to your customers some who just want the
bandwidth & all ports open to their site running insecure applications.
Right now most of those script kiddies are not interested on exploits down
here due to the 600 ms Satellite hop  and considering band is going to be
cheap this mean's the un-maintained PC of grandma will be on the network
being used as a zombie. The question is how well is Africa prepared  for
abuse in the brink of Fibre channel ? we  gonna have lots of dynamic
addresses too making accountability difficult..

Rgds
Oduor Sam