[afnog] ethernet module for 2621

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Jul 24 12:58:26 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 24 July 2007 20:05, Geert Jan de Groot wrote:

> Check if you have a 2621 or 2621XM.
> If it's the former, then I believe you're SOL for fast
> ethernet; if it's the latter, then FE interfaces may be
> supported...

Too much conflicting information from Cisco; this documents
now seems to suggest the NM-2FE2W network module is, in fact,
supported on the 2600 and 2600XM platforms, after all:

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_data_sheet09186a00801aa71c.html

Your best bet is to "borrow" one (if you can) and test it for
sure before you move to purchase - you don't want your
employer breathing down your neck for a wrong purchase :-).

Suffice it to say, the Software Advisor on CCO is
contradictory; it says the NM-2FE2W is unsupported on this
platform.

You're better off testing than relying on the documentation,
at this point :-).

> and you can also play games with 802.1Q VLANs if
> your router is connected to a switch, and save the need to
> buy additional interfaces as ling as there's no bandwith
> issues.

802.1Q is currently supported on the 2621 (assuming the right
IOS is involved).

Cheers,

Mark.