[afnog] ethernet module for 2621

Geert Jan de Groot GeertJan.deGroot at xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 24 12:05:29 UTC 2007

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 18:13:56 +0800  Mark Tinka wrote:
> > I will suggest a
> >             NM-2FE2W which has
> >       2 port 10/100 Ethernet with 2 WAN Card Slot Network Module
> This network module isn't supported on this platform:
> http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_tech_note09186a00=
> 800b1155.shtml
> http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_data_sheet09186a0=
> 080091b89.html

Check if you have a 2621 or 2621XM.
If it's the former, then I believe you're SOL for fast ethernet;
if it's the latter, then FE interfaces may be supported and
you can also play games with 802.1Q VLANs if your router
is connected to a switch, and save the need to buy additional interfaces
as ling as there's no bandwith issues.

Holler if you have the latter and need example config.
http://www.ws.afnog.org/afnog2007/setup/router-configs/
shows the configs of some of the equipment we used
for the AfNOG 2007 meeting.
(we intended to run everything over VLANs but had to switch
to dedicated wiring because the power outages caused
spectacular behaviour with the unmanaged switches of the
hotel infrastructure, so the config shown has only one VLAN left
but it demonstrates the concept).

Geert Jan