[afnog] UCEPROTECT-Network Level 3

Frank Habicht geier-lists-afnog at tih.co.tz
Tue Jul 24 10:56:35 UTC 2007

On 7/24/2007 11:22 AM, S. Oduor wrote:
>> there is no net police agency, sorry.  and afrinic is not the police
>> agency which does not exist.
>>

> I dont mean to put afrinic on Internet Police level, but I think they are
> better placed than me since I dont own the whole netblock of
> 196.207.0.0/16, there lots of folks with smaller subnets on this netblock
> suffering Probably  some of them are on this list, having one
> representation from a bigger entity like afrinic  will as a matter of fact
> get things moving & we will be focused on other errands trying to make the
> internet efficient.
>
> Besides I think this is a good forum to brain storm on best ways to combat
> this kind Crime Perpetrated by  UCEPROTECT & many other RBL's that deflect
> genuine emails not spams, to me this is no big difference from hacking or
> abuse of high level resulting to loss, I already got lots of rejected
> mails from my customers affecting their businesses you might never really
> know the extent of the damage its impacts are far reaching when a legit
> email bounces  . One day someone will really think of what he has done or
> not done to ensure he is protected by a net police agency ? the wisdom &
> influence to get one operational now is really you choice.
>

>> contact the folk at whoever is being what you think is mean to your
>> packets.  nothing else will help you no matter how loudly you scream; in
>> fact, screaming reduces one's credibility in the long term.
>>

> Before screaming I normally prefer mature ways of sorting out a main
> problem and this really does help  many at times. If you literally happen
> to step on my toe I would  tell you to step off  while holding back my
> breath and if it jst happens that I scream am either about to give up or
> do something that will ensure I am free from the pain (human nature), I
> will try not to scream cauze some good folks are already assisting me &
> hope someone who is silently suffering will take up his responsibility. I
> hope their provider was here to drop their AS to ensure that RBL is not
> reachable.
>
> UCEPROTECT is demanding 250 Euro payment which I maintain grounds is
> stealing either knowingly or unknowingly.
>
> Their is an Auto whitelist of 7 Days that we can bet is not going to
> happen on a block of /16 thats on level 3 owned by different
> Organisations, I have been trying to sort this for months now and through
> my search I subscribed to AFNOG cauze I trust it has experienced chaps who
> have been sorting out internet related problems for ages than brushing
> them off in a clever way.

Hello,

Now we have at AfriNIC a AnitSpam Bof/SIG/WG/....     (which I'm part of...)

This probably means that there is something AfriNIC can (should?) do.
Not talking about policing.

I agree it is "wrong" what this particular RBL is doing.
We can and I believe should be talking and reasoning with them (educate
them) - and I believe Bill Woodcock did.
If they won't listen, we could publicly name&shame them....
you could also take the list of failing destination addresses (those
mail domains using the rbl) and tell postmaster@<domain> how bad that
rbl is...?

This is one thing.

We could also (at the same time) look at
$ grep 196.207. delegated-afrinic-20070716
afrinic|NG|ipv4|196.207.0.0|4096|20050309|allocated
afrinic|KE|ipv4|196.207.16.0|4096|20050530|allocated
afrinic|ZA|ipv4|196.207.32.0|4096|20050309|assigned
afrinic|MU|ipv4|196.207.48.0|4096|20050903|allocated
afrinic|NG|ipv4|196.207.128.0|16384|20050118|allocated
afrinic|SN|ipv4|196.207.192.0|16384|20050203|allocated

run whois and talk to our colleagues. avoid the spam.
adapt/read/develop/copy&paste some best current practices ...
sorry - and implement!
get the antispam wg/sig working (i take ~5% of the blame ;-)

So i see some place in the "coordination of efforts" and the education
where AfriNIC can play a role.
And I'm all in favour of this being bottom-up !

Regards,

Frank
(who should be busy with something else...)

PS: Now how do i make this email sendable (acceptable) ?
use sender address geier-lists-afrinic-antispam at afrinic.net  to
submit to the afrinic mailing list
or use address geier-lists-afnog at afnog.org to submit to afnog ?
or think about receiving recipes and get all list traffic in on one
address ...?