[afnog] UCEPROTECT-Network Level 3

Phil Regnauld regnauld at x0.dk
Mon Jul 23 18:38:05 UTC 2007

Bill Woodcock (woody) writes:
> Looking at their stated policy, they block a /16, whenever there are more
> than 512 violating individual addresses within it, over the past seven
> days.  Since they choose /16s arbitrarily, rather than looking at the
> actual allocated networks, this does unfairly and arbitrarily impact the
> _neighbors_ of ISPs with poor AUP enforcement, as well as their upstream
> providers and their customers.  This is a very poor policy on UCEPROTECT's

	As a sidenote: MAPS/Trend does this -- for example, the French
	ISP Free has entire /16 blacklisted, representing their DSL customers.

>     > This rbl is exhorting money
>
> I presume you meant "extorting," but in either case, this claim is
> incorrect and hyperbolic.  You're already in the right, so I would
> recommend that you stick to the facts of the case, which are on your side,
> and not damage your argument by overstating the matter.

>From http://www.uceprotect.net/en/index.php:

	The truth is: Every IP listed will expire 7 days after the LAST abuse is detected, and FREE of charge.
	There is a payment option available for any listee that does not want to wait 7 days but needs to be de-listed immediately.

	So they kind of encourage you to pay if you want to be removed quick.

	But right, they force no one to pay.

	P.