[afnog] UCEPROTECT-Network Level 3

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Mon Jul 23 18:15:21 UTC 2007

      On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, S. Oduor wrote:
    > Network 196.207.0.0/16 is blacklisted at UCEPROTECT Level 3 and this
    > consists of different entities  on different geographical locations
    > managing & administering smaller subnets on this range.

Looking at their stated policy, they block a /16, whenever there are more
than 512 violating individual addresses within it, over the past seven
days.  Since they choose /16s arbitrarily, rather than looking at the
actual allocated networks, this does unfairly and arbitrarily impact the
_neighbors_ of ISPs with poor AUP enforcement, as well as their upstream
providers and their customers.  This is a very poor policy on UCEPROTECT's
part, and I'm composing an email to them right now, to explain this to
them.  I'm not sure what more we should do, since they're an opt-in
service, and there's no particular lever to get them to do anything
specific, other than just to point out to them that they're causing damage
and not being as clever as they think they are.  Other ideas?

    > This rbl is exhorting money

I presume you meant "extorting," but in either case, this claim is
incorrect and hyperbolic.  You're already in the right, so I would
recommend that you stick to the facts of the case, which are on your side,
and not damage your argument by overstating the matter.

How would you like the community to assist you?

                                -Bill