[afnog] NetFlow Statistics Collector

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Thu Jan 18 13:03:20 UTC 2007

musoket at mtn.co.ug wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I’m thinking of using CISCO’s NetFlow for traffic flow analysis and
> collecting VOIP information. Has anyone out there used it? What NetFlow
> collector would you recommend that I use on  a SUSE box to process the
> data exported from the router?

NetFlow is great for general traffic measurements. But due to the nature
of the way it collects and aggregates data into flows it is useless for
most VoIP stats. It won't show you jitter, latency and a lot of other
factors that are important in that area.

For NetFlow apps check the following URL's:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/732/Tech/nmp/netflow/partners/commercial/index.shtml
http://netflow.caligare.com/applications.htm
http://www.switch.ch/tf-tant/floma/software.html

Every tool comes at a different price (some 100K+ US ;) and has
different things it can do. As such there is not an easy way to say "get
this as it does what you want". If you can tell what exactly you are
trying to measure or figure out, then I can probably hint you which apps
are most suited for your needs.

Most of them are SUSE based, most of them though are also commercial.
Check the SWITCH url for quite some non-commercial ones too.

Greets,
 Jeroen