[afnog] Connecting Catalyst 2950 and LinkSys VLAN 802.1q

Kareem Mahgoub kmahgoub at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 20:45:58 UTC 2007

Dear All,
I have a setup of group of Linksys switches configured with VLAN using
802.1q and I want to aggregate them with a Catalyst 2950 keeping the Tag of
packets as the Catalyst will be connected to my gateway, where I need the
Tag.
I have configured the catalyst port in to trunk mode and all vlans are
allowed. The Tagged packets can only pass if the VLAN is configured in the
Database of the catalyst. The problem that there is a limitation of the
number of VLANs on the catalyst to 64, while I need 250.
Is there anyway to do this setup??
I have tried with dummy switch and it worked perfectly, can I make the
catalyst work in a dummy mode, in order to skip the trap of the limitation?
Any help is very much appreciated.
Regards,
Kareem Mahgoub