[afnog] Research topic

Mike McKay mike at vdomck.org
Mon Sep 25 07:53:40 SAST 2006

Sergio Carrilho wrote:
> I was thinking in a way of taking Internet to remote locations,such
> as locations without electricity and easy access, using wireless (and
> maybe the $100 laptops with MANET enabled for children) but that
> topic seems too broad and complex because it would also involve
> participation of many people and a lot of field work would be needed
> in Africa (I'm very far). So I'm searching for an alternative topic.

Have you looked at the stuff Inveneo is working on? It is pretty much
wireless, VOIP, and renewable energy for Africa: www.inveneo.org

There is also a lot of interesting work that is using redundant internet
technologies to improve health care. Check out www.baobabhealth.org
(where I work). Get in touch if you want more information.

Mike