[afnog] Research topic

Sergio Carrilho seergio.carrilho at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 06:26:11 SAST 2006

Hi all,

I'm from Mozambique, studying now in Japan. I participated in the
AFNOG 2005 in Mozambique and before coming here I've been involved in
the technical planning and operations of the Government network.

I'm writing to ask an opinion from you about the following issue:
  I want to start my masters research, and I wanted a topic related
with the situation of internet and Communications Infrastructure in
Africa, because I would like to do something which could contribute
to the development of this area (IT) in Africa. My favorite topics
are in the area of wireless and VoIP.
Can someone suggest me a topic which is related with the actual/
future situation in Africa?
I was thinking in a way of taking Internet to remote locations,such
as locations without electricity and easy access, using wireless (and
maybe the $100 laptops with MANET enabled for children) but that
topic seems too broad and complex because it would also involve
participation of many people and a lot of field work would be needed
in Africa (I'm very far). So I'm searching for an alternative topic.

Thanks in advance

sergio