[afnog] high disk access on mail server

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 08:04:45 UTC 2006

hi,

i have had a problem that i thought i resolved. my mail server has a 99%
disk busy value from vmstat.

Disks      ad0     ad2     md0
KB/t         20.36 16.00  0.00
tps           29      546      0
MB/s        0.57  8.54     0.00
% busy   25      98        0

the very first time this happened, one my disks was failing, i was able to
recover all the data from it to the new disk, but now im experiencing the
same thing with the new disk. i have made sure that it has no errors on it,
fsck comes out clean on all runs.

i restarted it and monitored it for a while and it seems that when one email
account (systems-at-one2net-dot-co-dot-ug) receives an email, the disk
writes hit the roof and this seems to freeze everything.

anyone with ideas why this could be happening?

Thanks

Mike