[afnog] sendmail problem

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Tue Nov 7 16:07:23 UTC 2006

On 7-Nov-2006, at 09:17, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> Check that the DNS resolver of the MTA can always resolve local IP
> addresses, even without access to the Internet. For instance, if your
> local addresses are 192.0.2.0/24, check that 2.0.192.in-addr.arpa is
> directly reachable from this resolver (either because it is
> authoritative for it or because it knows a forwarder which is).

If this doesn't fix the problem, then it's possible that sendmail is
doing sender address verification as it accepts mail from the network
(e.g. checking that the recipient domains exist in the DNS).

I seem to remember that there's a sendmail option which causes it to
accept and queue mail and defer those kinds of checks until the queue
run. But it's so long since I have dared run sendmail on any machine
in my control, I can't tell you for sure.

Joe