[afnog] A router is crashing and rebooting itself

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.zw
Thu Nov 2 10:23:48 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 31 October 2006 16:48, David Chima wrote:
> Hello

Hi.

> I have a 1711 cisco router which was working very well. Suddenly
> one day the router froze and stopped working. I couldn't reach it
> on any port except the console. And it was in rommon. I tried to
> reload the IOS through xmodem and rebooted it. I got the same
> results just as before.

I ran your error through the Cisco stack decoder. For the most part,
it looks like a software bug that you hit after the router entered
"some" condition.

There are several possible bugs for this error, but the decoder
summarised it as a "software defect".

I suspect upgrading your IOS might fix the issue. Better still,
unless you need a feature only available in IOS 12.4, I'd suggest
you stick/downgrade to 12.3(20), as it's now GD.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mark.