[afnog] arts++ & gcc3

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Mon Jun 12 14:20:33 EAT 2006

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 12:53:49PM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> Trying to build arts++ on FreeBSD-6.0-RELEASE/Sparc-64, but it
> appears 'net-mgmt/arts++' prefers to compile with gcc2(.95) than
> gcc3(.4.4).
>
> I have gcc3 installed.
>
> Wondering if anyone else has come across this - my options appear
> to be; downgrade to gcc2.95 (hmmh) or go with
> 'net-mgmt/flow-tools'.

Well, you should be able to install /usr/ports/lang/gcc295 without hosing
your existing gcc installation. Perhaps with a bit of work to Makefiles, you
could use that to build.

As another option, you could build the binary or package under FreeBSD 5.x
or 4.x, and install it on your 6.x box along with the compat5x or compat4x
libraries.

You can probably do this without actually having another box, by untarring
FreeBSD 5.x or 4.x into a subdirectory on your main system, chrooting into
it, and compiling the software inside the chroot environment.

I have used this to build FreeBSD-4.x code on a FreeBSD-5.x system; see
http://linnet.rubyforge.org/handbook/book.html#BUILD-IN-CHROOT
but haven't tried this on a 6.x system yet.