[afnog] DNS reach ability

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 13:18:44 EAT 2006

Thanks Brian,

(3) Now, this is where the problem seems to be:

> $ dig +norec @41.220.14.9 ns.one2net.co.ug. a
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> +norec @41.220.14.9 ns.one2net.co.ug. a
> ;; global options:  printcmd

ummm sorry about that, for some reason this servers rndc key keeps jumping
rope, so ive been on it from this morning, i guess when you tried it i was
still working on it. i got it back up about 1245 HRS (East African Time)
about 0845 HRS (UTC). please check it again and let me know if it still acts
up. ive tested it internally and it smiles with me. please check that for me
also. thanks

> This shows that the names under one2net.co.ug (including ns.one2net.co.ug)
> may not be resolvable. You have only two nameservers listed for
> one2net.co.ug: ns.one2net.co.ug cannot be found because the glue in the
> root
> is wrong, and ns2.one2net.co.ug is not responding at all.

somehow, queries are returned correctly apart from .com .net and .org who
find it hard to get back to our name server. all others find their way to
ns.one2net.co.ug. again, ns2.one2net.co.ug should now respond :-)

So first you need to put your house in order for one2net.co.ug. Either fix
> ns2, or (preferably) get an off-site secondary for this domain, since at
> the
> moment you're violating RFC 2182. This is definitely not good for a
> nameserver which is supposed to be providing service for a top-level
> domain.
> You're on show to the world here :-)

yeah, i hear you on that one, have been doing a lot of cleaning up and this
is the part i want to touch last. hopefully by the end of June, ill have my
secondary NS on a different network or even use my second block for that.

Alternatively, you could rename this host entirely, so that its new name is
> under somebody else's domain which has RFC 2182-compliant nameservice (e.g
> .
> "ns-ug.psg.com"). That's probably more work than making the nameservice
> for
> one2net.co.ug RFC 2182-complaint, as the delegation for .ug would need
> changing to point to this new name.

actually, this could work and to that it wouldnt be more work. .UG only
needs ns.one2net.co.ug, it doesnt have any reference to ns2.one2net.co.ug.
Like i said, by the end of June (and that may be too far), i intend to have
my secondary DNS on a totally different network (or on my second network
block).

Regards

Mike