[afnog] Bind9 on Debian

Patrick Okui pokui at psg.com
Thu Jul 27 18:22:48 EAT 2006

[resent... forgot to cc afnog]

Hi Wonder,

On Thursday 27 July 2006 17:51, Wonder Chikohomero wrote:

> if I dig zebra.ucmpemba.moz

This is fine.. and works as you expect

> if I dig 192.168.10.19

This won't do what you expect because what dig is trying to do is
find a domain called 192.168.10.19 ... i.e it has NO idea you
mean an IP address.

To map IP addresses back to names, there's the so called Reverse
DNS.[1] This requires you to have a zone delegated to you.. in
this case I'd guess something along the lines of 168.192.in-arpa
in which you have entries like

19.10	PTR		zebra.ucmpemba.moz.

(see the docs I've quoted for you at the bottom)

A few notes:

1. You seem to have conjured up a TLD for yourself. (and a set of
zones beneath that). at least I can't resolve the nameservers
for the MOZ zone. If this is in Mozambique, then I guess you
should get in touch with the .MZ registry.

2. You really shouldn't have private IP address space in your DNS
- well not unless this DNS is not going to be reached on the
public Internet.

--
patrick

[1]See http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/intro-dns.html or the DNS matterial
on ws.afnog.org for more details about all that.