[afnog] ppp.conf help

Jacques Marneweck jacques at powertrip.co.za
Wed Jul 19 16:11:53 EAT 2006

Alan Levin wrote:

Hi Alan

Copy the ppp.conf you currently use to ppp.conf.adsl1and ppp.conf.adsl2
for example.  One could then cp /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.adsl2
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf and restart the userland ppp afterwards.  One could in
theory use a script to copy based on which username already exists in
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf.  The chgrep command in /usr/ports/sysutils/chgrep is
useful for finding text and replacing it:

chgrep oldusername newusername /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
chgrep oldpassword newpassword /etc/ppp/ppp.conf

I would hook up a menu (using pdmenu) for your wife's usage.  Something
like Change ADSL Username which executes a script via sudo behind the
scenes.

Or one can use pppctl ("set server /var/run/ppp/loop-iburst") and use
pppctl to connect to /var/run/ppp/loop-iburst or whatever you called
that socket and issue commands to change username, password, etc.

Regards
--jm