[afnog] exim cannot chdir to Maildir when with userdb

Fisayo Adeleke fisayo at exnesys.com
Fri Jul 14 20:01:01 EAT 2006

Hello,

I have exim running on a linux box with courier-imap, authentication is done
using the system password file and this has been working for years now...but I
recently upgraded courier-imap and now with the authlib, trying to make use of
authuserdb authentication using a userdb file. If i do a telnet to localhost on
110 or 143 to test the installation it verifies correctly. I created a test
'configure' for exim and used the -C option to test delivery but I keep getting
an error message that exim cannot chdir to Maildir

LOG: MAIN
  <= root at domain.com U=root P=local S=297
delivering 1GBaIo-0000fS-F8
[root at spider exim]# LOG: MAIN
  == user at domain.com R=courier T=local_delivery_courier defer (13): Permission
denied: cannot chdir to /usr/exim/mailusersdb/s/domain.com/user/Maildir/

I can see its a permissions problem, but I seem to have checked through the
permissions and cant figure out the 'break' point. exim is run under the user
exim, the user directory is owned also by exim group. Any help is worth it;-)

thanks

-Fisayo