[afnog] mounting_NTFS_on_Linux

Hervey Allen hervey at nsrc.org
Sat Feb 25 19:38:19 EAT 2006

Alex Gondwe wrote:
> Hello, All,
>

> I am running fedora core 4 dual-booted with Windows XP.
>
> I am trying to mount the NTFS partition in Fedora. I have edited the
> fstab file. The drive shows up but the partition can not be mounted.
> Does anybody know how to do this.

NTFS read support works under Linux. NTFS r/w support is
dubious.

http://www.linux-ntfs.org/

You should be able to add the correct kernel module for
Fedora Core 4 (this will require a reboot) to read ntfs file
systems. Note, you can write to an ntfs file system from
Linux, but this is not recommended. You can choose to just
enbale r/o access or r/w but r/w is not recommended.

Here are a bunch of links with information about getting
this to work:

http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/redhat_ntfs_support.html
http://lists.freshrpms.net/pipermail/freshrpms-list/2004-February/007723.html
http://www.fedorafaq.org/#ntfs
http://wiki.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=ntfs-en#4.1_can_i_mount_an_ntfs_volume

By going to http://www.google.com/ and searching on "linux
ntfs support" you'll find all this information and more.

Best of luck,
	- Hervey Allen