[afnog] FreeBSD

Hervey Allen hervey at nsrc.org
Fri Feb 3 17:19:29 EAT 2006

Kondwani Wella wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am a novice user of FreeBSD. I have installed it on a PII machine and the
> installation was successful. I can login. BUT I am failing to configure GUI.
> I tried to configure XFree86 but I am getting a message that “cannot find
> Xfree86” Have I done anything wrongly.

Assuming you are using a newer version of FreeBSD (5.4 or
6), I would recommend configuring X Window using Xorg. You
should definitely review this section of the handbook in
detail as you attempt this:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.html

The instructions here are quite helpful.

Good luck!

Sincerely,
	- Hervey Allen